Who We Are & What We Do
BCMSAR is a trained group of volunteers operating under the Bureau County Sheriff's Office located in Princeton, Illinois. Our group is made up of both mounted and ground search teams who can work either independently or together depending on the situation. Members are trained in current ground and/or mounted search techniques. Many are cross-trained in order to best function in a wide variety of search scenarios. Several members have undergone additional training such as medical, communications, and search management training.
What are the advantages of using trained searchers?
- Trained searchers use specialized search skills that increase their find rate to 85%.
- Trained searchers are knowledgeable in typical lost person behaviors and traits.
- Trained searchers are knowledgeable in crime scene preservation and procedures.
- Trained searchers can search in both wilderness and urban settings.
- Trained searchers practice regularly to enhance their search skills.
What are the advantages of using horses for search and rescue work?
- Horses can travel faster and farther than their human counterparts.
- Horses give their riders a higher viewing platform to search from.
- Horses can transport needed equipment such as medical, block & tackle, litters and radio equipment.
- Horses are very aware of their surroundings and will alert their rider to anything out of the ordinary.
- Mounted searchers can stay out longer and are more rested at the end of a search.
Mission Statement: The primary mission of the Bureau County Mounted Search and Rescue team is to establish a well-trained and fully equipped search & rescue unit capable of assisting in disasters and in locating lost, abducted, or missing persons in Bureau County and surrounding areas in a timely and efficient manner without endangering the searchers or further hazarding the lost person.
|Important Upcoming Events|
May 22 / 7pm - Team Meeting - Moose Lodge in Princeton.
June ? / Get-Together - We will try to get together in June for a get together and party. More info later.
June 7 / LaMoille Buffalo Days Parade - The team has received an invitation to participate in the parade. Anyone interested contact Larry.
June 26 / 7pm - Team Meeting - Moose Lodge in Princeton.
|Click here to see our full Calendar of Events|
2013 Bureau County Commemorative Rifle Drawing
Congratulations to the 2013 Winners: George & Cindy Hand of Princeton
Thanks to all that bought tickets! Your support is greatly appreciated.
Deputy Dan Smith
|Commander: Larry Dalton
Assistant Commander: Dale Smith
Treasurer: Janet Smith
Assistant Treasurer: Larry Dalton
Secretary: Tena Brown
Assistant Secretary: Susan Wright