Who We Are & What We Do
BCMSAR is a trained group of volunteers operating under the Bureau County Sheriff's Office located in Princeton, Illinois. Our group is made up of both mounted and ground search teams who can work either independently or together depending on the situation. Members are trained in current ground and/or mounted search techniques. Many are cross-trained in order to best function in a wide variety of search scenarios. Several members have undergone additional training such as medical, communications, and search management training.
What are the advantages of using trained searchers?
- Trained searchers use specialized search skills that increase their find rate to 85%.
- Trained searchers are knowledgeable in typical lost person behaviors and traits.
- Trained searchers are knowledgeable in crime scene preservation and procedures.
- Trained searchers can search in both wilderness and urban settings.
- Trained searchers practice regularly to enhance their search skills.
What are the advantages of using horses for search and rescue work?
- Horses can travel faster and farther than their human counterparts.
- Horses give their riders a higher viewing platform to search from.
- Horses can transport needed equipment such as medical, block & tackle, litters and radio equipment.
- Horses are very aware of their surroundings and will alert their rider to anything out of the ordinary.
- Mounted searchers can stay out longer and are more rested at the end of a search.
Mission Statement: The primary mission of the Bureau County Mounted Search and Rescue team is to establish a well-trained and fully equipped search & rescue unit capable of assisting in disasters and in locating lost, abducted, or missing persons in Bureau County and surrounding areas in a timely and efficient manner without endangering the searchers or further hazarding the lost person.
|Important Upcoming Events|
February 26 / 7 pm - Members Meeting at the Moose Lodge in Princeton.
March 26 / 7 pm - Members Meeting at the Moose Lodge in Princeton.
April 18 & 19th / Cambridge SAR Training - A 2 day training event is being planned that will include training for horses and ground teams. Contact Jim Drake (815-878-6188) or Larry Ramus (309-314-4826) from Henry County for more details.
April 23 / 7 pm - Members Meeting at the Moose Lodge in Princeton.
|Click here to see our full Calendar of Events|
2014 Bureau County Commemorative Rifle Drawing
Congratulations to the 2014 Winner: P. Dittmar from LaSalle, IL
Thanks to all that bought tickets! Your support is greatly appreciated.
Deputy Dan Smith
|Commander: Larry Dalton
Assistant Commander: Dale Smith
Treasurer: Janet Smith
Assistant Treasurer: Larry Dalton
Secretary: Barry Lee Brown
Assistant Secretary: Susan Wright